Sunday, April 22, 2012

Starship Troopers Film Analysis by Rob Ager

I like the film analyses by Rob Ager. He does very throrough explanations of themes, subtext and symbols in many great movies such as 2001: A Space Odyssey or The Shining. This time he went to analyse Starship Troopers, which has over the years since its release garnered a big cult following where people admire the movie for its intelligent und subtle messages next to the more obvious bug slaughterfest that it was marketed as.

2 comments:

shtove said...

Videos too long for me to sit through.

Saw ST on cinema release in 1997, and had mixed experience.

First half is a great satire on the authoritarian state; second half, mostly a tedious shoot-out - but I agree with the idea that the killer bugs were victims too.

I think I read Heinlein's story after watching this, but it didn't do much for me. Can't really remember.

Thomas Rufer said...

too bad you didn't sit through. but then who has time all the time to watch all the videos?

anyway, I can't remember the movie very well either.

but it's on my list of revisits thanks to the analysis of rob ager.